The Ushahidi Auto Upgrader

From: David Kobia <david@...>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:57:35 -0400
Hi Guys,
As we get closer to pushing out the 1.1.0 bug fix release, I just
thought I'd bring up a few points/issues for discussion.

1. We need to need to make upgrading as intuitive as possible. If
anything we need to emulate the 'Installation' process to make
everything as clear as possible. We should probably detail all the
files that are being replaced too instead of an invisible process.

2. Upgrading the database. I had the following ideas:
	- Part of the upgrade process should probably include dumping/backing
up the old schema. The system itself should include a 'Backup
Database' option in the Admin interface.
	- We need to run sql upgrades separately instead of using one upgrade.sql file
	- Also should probably rename the sql upgrade files using the
following format, upgrade.X.Y.sql where X = current and Y =
upgrade_to. This way we can perform a 'For..' Loop with 'function
_upgrade_tables(X, Y)' until the most recent version is in place.

3. Because a lot of people make major modifications to the View files
we should probably make this clear in the first step. In the near
future the most commonly altered views should probably be in the
themes folder too so that an upgrade doesn't flip the look of the site
back to the vanilla/default look and feel.

4. Because of slow download speeds and the fact that the zip file is
about +2MB big, each upgrade should probably be incremental too. This
way we can push out small fixes quickly and easily. We can do a diff
between tags using this command to get only the modified/new files.

	> zip /ushahidi.zip $(git diff --name-only -a 1.0.0 1.0.1)

Does anyone have ideas for an upgrade process we can try to emulate
(besides WordPress of course)... ?

Thanks,
David.