Nairobi based friends, anyone interested?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FW: Please RSVP: How Can Emerging Technology Strengthen Urban Resilience?
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:18:15 +0300
From: Nanjira Sambuli
To: <angela@...>

From: Technology Salon <wayan@...>
Date: Thursday, September 25, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Please RSVP: How Can Emerging Technology Strengthen Urban Resilience?
RSVP now to join a special Red Cross event
View this email in your browser

How Can Emerging Technology Strengthen Urban Resilience?

RSVP Now

 RSVP Now for an interactive workshop in Nairobi

Technologies, such as smart phones and social media, have improved the efficiency and effectiveness of emergency preparedness and response by facilitating community participation, spreading life-saving messages and expediting service delivery.

As we enter the next generation of technology, we have an opportunity and responsibility to harness emerging tools – such as 3D printing, wearable technology and augmented reality – that people can use and adapt to strengthen their own resilience to crisis shocks.

As a Technology Salon subscriber, the Red Cross is pleased to invite you to an interactive workshop to explore how emerging and consumer technologies may improve and expand a community’s ability to prepare for emergencies, respond to increasing risk, and help urban dwellers bounce back quicker and stronger from natural disasters and other emergencies.

Emerging Technology and Urban Resilience
Thursday, 23 October 2014
8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Boma Inn Nairobi and Conference Center
Lunch will be provided
RSVP Required

This workshop is part of a global series.  Rather than concentrate on the tools that humanitarian organisations use, our goal is to start a new, multi-sector conversation focused on meeting the needs of urban communities through consumer technologies, including solutions that are, or will become, directly accessible to individuals and enhance their daily lives.

We will investigate how promising technologies can address the risks, needs and challenges that commonly delay or prevent individuals and communities from making a full recovery following emergencies.  We will explore practical, humanitarian applications and related technical requirements for these technologies as well as consider the ethical, political and security implications of their consumer use.

You can join too - if you RSVP now. RSVP is required for attendance.

The ideas and solutions generated in the workshop series will directly influence the design of pilot projects aimed at strengthening personal and community resilience in urban centres around the world.
.

subscribers

About the Technology Salon

The Technology Salon™ is an intimate, informal, and in person, discussion between information and communication technology experts and international development professionals, with a focus on both:
  • technology's impact on donor-sponsored technical assistance delivery, and
  • private enterprise driven economic development, facilitated by technology.
Our meetings are lively conversations, not boring presentations. Attendance is capped at 30 people - and frank participation with ideas, opinions, and predictions is actively encouraged.

It's also a great opportunity to meet others motivated to employ technology to solve vexing development problems. Join us today!

Copyright © 2014 Technology Salon, All rights reserved.
You're receiving this email via your participation and interest in the Technology Salon. I do hope you find it of value.

Our mailing address is:
Technology Salon
972 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences