From: Mac Glovinsky <mglovinsky@...>
Date: Monday, February 24, 2014 10:45 AM
Subject: Help put Africa on the map - join the global Emergency Innovation Challenge for a chance to win US$15k!

I am Mac Glovinsky and I lead Innovation in Humanitarian Action within the Innovation Unit at the United Nation’s Children Fund (UNICEF) based in New York. I am writing to inform you of an exciting project called the Global Innovation Challenge: First 72 Hours, which is a UNICEF lead, international contest seeking the best ideas around humanitarian action and disaster response. The contest specifically seeks innovative solutions to address humanitarian needs immediately after a crisis takes place and most importantly during its first 72 hours.

This is an exciting and innovative challenge and it needs your help in reaching out to your wide network of young leaders and partners.   Inviting them to join and promote the challenge by submitting rough ideas or finished products will help the humanitarian community better respond to the needs of communities at the onset of a crisis.  We are especially keen on fully engaging African Youth and innovative minds and hope to achieve this through your organization by inviting all African members of your network to propose ideas for affected communities or humanitarian actors within one of four areas:
  1. Energy
  2. Health
  3. Communications and information
  4. Food and water

Their ideas can have a focus on Africa, if they choose to, but are certainly not limited to it. The deadline for participation is March 13th, 2014.  All submissions will be judged by a panel of experts across the innovation and humanitarian fields and the winning team will receive $15,000 in seed funding as well as a paid trip to Chile, where the innovation lab is running the challenge out of, for a two weeks idea incubation phase.

Your support is key and we hope to be able to count on it.  Detailed info can be found below,

Best,
Mac

Steps to participate in the challenge:

Join at www.first72hours.org or in Spanish at www.primeras72hours.org

HELP US PUBLICISE:
1. Publicize the Challenge in social media in your country/region.
During the ideation phase of the challenge, December 17, 2013 to March 13, 2014 our goal is to generate thehighest number of ideas from your country/region.  Social media can be a great way to do this.
Sample tweets and facebook status updates are available in this googledoc: (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Arc98A8b1065dEcxRlNJUWN4TlM0b2dQdkNWZnJwa1E&usp=sharing#gid=0). They are here for copy/paste or to be customised based on personal experience.

2. Create an event on or before March 13, 2014.
On or before March 13 we encourage you to have events (workshops, press, etc) to educate young people about emergencies and innovation.

HELP INCREASE SUBMISSIONS:
1.  Submit an idea
If you think you have a compelling idea, you too can take part in the challenge.  Login towww.first72hours.org, create a profile, and enter your idea - simple as that.

2.  Identify partners to participate with ideas.
First 72 Hours is a great way to involve your partners in UNICEF's work.  Everyone can participate.  Make getting folks involved from your country/region a personal goal.
Participants can include, but are not limited to, a community based organisation, a private company, or a creative human.  Also, while you will be judged in a different category, your own office can participate!
SUPPORT IDEA DEVELOPMENT:
1. Be a mentor.
The role of a mentor in the challenge is to provide technical  assistance to contest participants through the online website platform.  Mentors do this by answering questions, and giving subject matter expertise.  This is a great way to empower your colleagues.

The time commitment is flexible and up to the mentor.  Based on past competition submission rates, time commitments are of 1-2 hours per week.

2. Recruit mentors:
We are expecting to get a lot of ideas so we need as many qualified mentors as possible. When we look at a mentor we are looking for subject matter (disaster risk reduction humanitarian action, resilience building at the community level etc.) experts who would be open/interested in joining an amazing international community and connecting in with the broader humanitarian community.
Basic requirements: first and foremost, your knowledge of UNICEF programs. Beyond this fundamental knowledge, familiarity with technology and human centered processes, and piloting and entrepreneurship are helpful.  Each mentor registers through an easy on-line form.

For more info, contact:
Mac Glovinsky Lead, Innovation in Humanitarian Action, NYHQ (mglovinsky@...)
Julio Dantas, Chile Innovation Lead (jdantas@...)​

Mac Glovinsky
Lead, Innovation in Humanitarian Action
Innovation Unit, NYHQ
Tel: 212-326-7474  Cell: +1 646 460 4088
Email: mglovinsky@...
Skype: macglovinsky