Re: [ushahidi developers] PHP/MySQL

From: David Kobia <david@...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:51:57 -0400
Hi Bill,
Good points, and you're right, this discussion has been going on for
ages. I think that if Ushahidi was a product that we didn't care how
many people installed or deployed, we'd probably be going the route of
Python/PgSQL or Node/MongoDB. PgSQL is especially attractive for
having PostGIS with the spatial columns and indexes. Add to that,
clustering points on the map can all be done DB side instead of doing
it in the app, which is one of a major bottleneck for sites with
thousands and tens of thousands of points.

That said, there's the option of allowing more people the ability to
install and deploy, or fewer people, with a more powerful application?
I think this is a great discussion to have on the list. I like that
more hosts are providing PgSQL hosting, but few if any, include the
PostGIS extension.

An option might be to ensure that database interaction is abstracted
enough that it doesn't matter what the underlying database is... and
this is something that might be worth looking into.

Regards,
David.