Re: [ushahidi developers] State of the project - reassure me.

From: LBell <lbell270@...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:10:40 +0700
Re: Forums / End User Support

I agree with Ed - moderation is a big part of the equation - but so is
answering questions. There seemed to be some good help about a year
ago - but it has tapered somewhat.

On the first (Moderation):

I see the forums are run on BBpress - which is highly extensible.
Beefing it up might be easier than migrating systems... Some Plugins
that probably exist already:
-- ) auto-close old topics (no reason to revive a 2 year old thread -
even if on a related topic...)
-- ) IP blocker
-- ) Akismet
-- ) Stronger registration requirements

On the front end - I think the forum could use a face-lit as well - to
make it easier to navigate / find what you are looking for. <---
'nother discussion.

Re the second issue (Answers):

Just a quick appeal to developers / power-users: Us little people ask
stupid questions. Taking 2 minutes to answer a stupid question (even
for the 10th time - even if it involves linking to where the same
stupid question was last answered) helps us to start asking smarter
questions. So, swing on by: http://forums.ushahidi.com -- might even
be fun.

(As a veiled threat: if someone more knowledgeable than me doesn't
start answering questions, I'm going to keep trying... and lord knows
where that might lead a new user ;)

Thanks for hearing me out,

Loren Bell
Independent Pot-Stirrer