I don't think the installer will have the permissions to run apache2ctl, but it could attempt to call one of the pages that would only work if modrewrite was enabled and return an error if that failed.

George Chamales
Konpa Group
Mobile: +1 718.288.7718
Fax:  +1 857.488.4002
Skype:  notgeorge
http://konpagroup.com

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Max Froumentin <max@...> wrote:
On 5 January 2011 19:30, Erik Hersman <erik@...> wrote:

> Home page error
> Error in loading GML file
> http://localhost/ushahidi/json/?z=13&c=0&s=1293829200&e=1296507599 << big
> arse message box appeared. haven't bothered to figure out why it's throwing
> this but I can dig around.
> Error 404- http://localhost/ushahidi/admin
> I got error 404 when accessing any pages away from the home page.<< my
> solution was to go to /ushahidi/applications/config/config.php and specify
> the controller file:
> $config['index_page'] = 'index.php';
> I also edited the .htaccess file and set the RewriteEngine Off just as a
> precaution, mind you mod_rewrite is running on the server.
> Most of the URLs worked fine with the exception of:
> Addons- URL automatically goes
> to http://localhost/ushahidi/admin/addons/plugins/ INSTEAD
> of http://localhost/ushahidi/index.php/admin/addons/plugins/
> Themes- same as above ^^

Every time I've had that issue it was because mod_rewrite wasn't set.
Perhaps the installer should check by running apache2ctl -l (must be
root, though) and if it's not found explain how to add it. What works
for me is run 'a2enmod rewrite', change 'AllowOverRide None' in
/etc/apache/sites-available/default to 'AllowOverRide All' and restart
apache.

Max.

message. If you haven't changed addresses since subscribing,
you can also send a message to:

For addition or removal of addresses, we'll send a confirmation
message to that address. When you receive it, simply reply to it
to complete the transaction.

If you need to get in touch with the human owner of this list,
please send a message to:
developers-owner@...