Got this email from a dev friend here in Kenya.  Seems there might be a few things we have yet to do to make the install process easier.

www.afrigadget.com | www.whiteafrican.com | @whiteafrican
US: 407.427.0412 | Kenya: +254 729.157.257 | Skype: ezungu

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Wesonga <johnwesonga@...>
Date: January 5, 2011 9:26:32 PM GMT+03:00
To: Erik Hersman <erik@...>
Subject: a few issues- ushahidi installation & post-installation

A couple of things I noticed durung installation

The installer requires mcrypt-

Suggestions

May be worth mentioning to users that once they've installed php5-mcrypt (Ubuntu/Debian specific binary) that they need to restart apache in order for Ushahidi to recognise the added php library.

OpenStreet Maps API Key

This was a bit confusing for me, no direct relation to the Ushahidi code, but when click on the API key link it takes you to the sign up page for OSM which is ok. You sign up, confirm email address and you're good to go << I couldn't figure out where the API key is supposed to be obtained from, may be my impatience.

Post Installation

Home page error

Error in loading GML file http://localhost/ushahidi/json/?z=13&c=0&s=1293829200&e=1296507599 << big arse message box appeared. haven't bothered to figure out why it's throwing this but I can dig around.

Error 404- http://localhost/ushahidi/admin

I got error 404 when accessing any pages away from the home page.<< my solution was to go to /ushahidi/applications/config/config.php and specify the controller file:

$config['index_page'] = 'index.php';

I also edited the .htaccess file and set the RewriteEngine Off just as a precaution, mind you mod_rewrite is running on the server.

Most of the URLs worked fine with the exception of:

Addons- URL automatically goes to http://localhost/ushahidi/admin/addons/plugins/ INSTEAD of http://localhost/ushahidi/index.php/admin/addons/plugins/

Themes- same as above ^^

--
John Wesonga